Saturday, January 31, 2015

OTHER EYES

I never know, the way I go is right,
I need to have some other eyes
See with me, agree with me, 
Meet in a glance of mutual delight




Nellie Strigle and Carl Douglas, her nephew, play in a wagon



Nellie (16) holds her niece (me)



A single working girl at Langley Air Base in Hampton, Va




Just married to first husband Al Berger
 


Their first daughter, Linda Nell




Second Husband, but first boyfriend, Bill Braxton



Our sweet beautiful Nellie has Alzheimer's and will not be coming home from skilled care. Her love, Bill is crushed.  He e-mailed me that he loves and misses her so much.  His health has taken a dive and he requires a stint and age 99.  Nellie will be 90 in the spring if things go well.  She has had a long life filled with everything, some of it tragic.  Even so she could express warm love and friendship to everyone she met.  She knew this was coming and tried urgently to keep in touch with her nieces and nephews.  She deserves the best Heaven has to offer.  I know how much she loves her children, grandchildren and both Al and Bill.  They should never ever doubt that!  She has other eyes.

5 comments:

  1. So very sorry to learn of this, CBMomma...both you and Janice have written such lovely posts about Nellie & Bill and their visits. It is so evident how much love you all have for one another. May she experience an easy transition, despite such a challenge facing her.I only know that music is discovered to be such a powerful way to both communicate with her, and possibly give some familiar comfort, and I hope she can be provided often with music she loves.---LLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resemble that name (Braxton). Our line came into the area of Snow Camp, NC, before end of 1600's - my great grandfather 1854 - 1920 John Wesley Braxton, South Fork (Quakers) Friends - of the Cane Creek, county line Alamance and Chatham counties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill grew up in NC also. He was part of a large poor family. Lived on a road named "Chicken Foot Lane", his father drank and times were hard.

      Delete
    2. The Braxton family IS also in other parts of the state of NC. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/o/g/Kathleen-F-Bogue/GENE1-0005.html

      Delete
  3. My sister (birthday 5th February, age 65) has severe dementia. I do not know whether she (or anyone) saw it coming. When she was born, I was not yet age six (1950).

    ReplyDelete